Friday 5 June 2009

Infrared With Canon EOS 450D - Part 3

Right, here we are with the final installment of infrared photography with the Canon EOS 450D.

Here I will cover the questions that I've been asked on this topic.

Q: I'm playing with IR too but I having problems with noise?
A: If your ISO level is set to automatic I would manually set it down to something like 100 to help reduce noise.

Then try taking a shot with a smaller aperture / slower shutter speeds. It will take some experimentation but should reduce noise. I always use a tripod for IR shots due to the long shutter speeds.

Your photo editing software should have something like a digital noise reduction filter which may also improve the image but sometimes this may also reduce the clarity of the image.

Q: I'm pulling my Hair out trying to do some IR photography. No matter how hard i try it doesnt work at all.... i just get a horrible red and black image.
A: Sounds like a white balance issue. Follow the suggestions in Part 2 which should help to correct this.

Q: My images are coming out very blue and overexposed?
A: When using slow shutter speeds in sunlight it is important to cover the viewfinder to stop extra light entering through to the sensor.

Q: Can you take IR shots in cloudy weather conditions?
A: Cloudy weather can work with IR too, it just may mean longer exposures and larger apertures (lower f/ numbers) to allow more light in. Here is a shot on flickr which inspired me to get an IR filter. As you can see, I've still got some way to go!

Q: Would you suggest a modification of the Canon EOS 450 to remove the factory shipped IR cut filter?
A: I have seen the process to remove the factory fitted IR cut filter on sites like ghonis2.ho8.com but it is not something that I would carry out on my 450D at the moment.

With some experimentation, you can get some good results on the 450D without the modification.

Q: Do you have any other tips?
A: I've found that looking at other IR photos can be of help (especially when you can see all the camera settings that were used). There are some good IR shots in these Flickr groups....

www.flickr.com/groups/infrared
www.flickr.com/groups/55027594@N00

Also, some other good tips can be found here





Please use the links below for the other 2 parts of this topic.
Part 1
Part 2

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi i have on question that i don't find the answer yet :D
The shot for setting the W/B, did you take it with the hoya filter or without ?
(sorry for my englis i'm a french)

Sion said...

Hi Hito,

You shoot the W/B photo with the filter attached.

Good luck with your infrared photos and thnaks for taking the time to visit my blog.

Your English is better than my French ;-)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the answer !! :D

Maybe that's because why my Infrared photo never works lol....

Thanks to you i will make progress at shooting infrared scenary :D

Neil said...

Hi Steve,

I've been trying ir photography with my 450D on the cheap, by using a small piece of ir filter I bought from an educational establishment. I cut a hole in a piece of cardboard and mounted the filter over it and then sellotaped it over the lens. I was disappointed to see that I was only geting a dull red photo, but now, from reading your blog, I realise that my exposure should have been a lot longer. I am now in a hurry to get home and try it again!

Neil, Cardiff

Sion said...

Neil,

Thanks for your comment.

Don't forget, if you are still getting very red or orange results then follow the tips in part 2 of the guide on setting the white balance.

Good luck and it would be interesting to know how it goes.

Steve